Re: Client side JavaScript i18n API

Referring to the process:

Trying to get effective and useful internationalization supported in
ECMAScript has been a fruitless process (see Markus's memo of some seven or
eight years ago). It might be possible to get needed changes if one were to
spend enough (a huge amount of) time with the ECMA committee, but even then,
the process will take a long time.

A better way would be to develop and standardize API in the W3C (or some
other suitable venue), aimed at developers who need internationalization on
the web in a more timely fashion. And in a way, one could view intl as an
(important) library layered on top of the basic language. We could make sure
that ECMA is in the loop, and if some of those changes are picked up in
ECMAScript later on, that wouldn't be so bad (the APIs could just be
converted into wrappers at that point).

Mark

— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —