Re: Client side JavaScript i18n API

Hi,

On Apr 26, 2010, at 20:49 , Nebojša Ćirić wrote:
> We have a first draft at
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhttrq5v_0c8k5vkdh (it has view/edit
> permissions).

That's interesting; personally I agree that this would be very useful in the browser. Small note: the API seems overly verbose at this point, why create a Locale object that seems to encapsulate little more than a string? The method names are also rather long.

I'm guessing that the idea is for Collator.compare() to return the values expected by JS sort()?

> 1. Namespace it should go under (document, window, window.i18n,
> window.navigator.i18n, i18n)

I would be tempted to say navigator, but really that's a bikeshed discussion. Getting the functionality right is far more important.

> Addison raises a valid question of having this API be part of
> JavaScript language itself, and I'll let Jungshik reply to that one.

If possible I tend to think that it's better to develop things independently — parts that don't need to be in core JS can be created outside. This doesn't meant that the APIs couldn't work in both browsers and CommonJS environment (in fact I believe that they should, simply with different entry points).

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/