Re: [Uri-review] [hybi] ws: and wss: schemes

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> This is defined by the RFC 3987, no? Surely we wouldn't want IRI
>>> components to have different meanings in different schemes?
>> If you can point to a section in RFC 3987 which defines more than the
>> syntax, and can state that that also applies to "ws", then, great...
>
> Isn't what the Web Socket protocol spec now says suitable?

It's better.

What I still miss is a reference from the URI registration template to
the section which defines the syntax (*), and in that section, a
statement about what the resource name exactly is good for. (It's
definitively not obvious by just reading the parsing algorithm).

BR, Julian

(*) I think that section would be much more readable when it used ABNF
as everybody else does. I hear that by specifying an algorithm you want
to exclude certain standard things like fragments, and include error
handling; but I think ABNF + prose would be much easier to understand.
Furthermore, fragment identifiers are orthogonal to the URI scheme, see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.3.5.p.2>:

"Fragment identifier semantics are independent of the URI scheme and
thus cannot be redefined by scheme specifications."