RE: ァ2.1.3 IRI/URI Canonicalization does not address IRIs with IDNs

[sorry, but my mailer garbles the non-Japanese, non-ASCII stuff]

At 16:44 08/04/10, Smith, Kevin, VF-Group wrote:

>HI Felix and Eric,
>
>A quick question, and please forgive my ignorance: it seems possible that
>
>http://www.xn--exmple-jua.org/
>
>and
>
>http://www.ex蚓ple.org/
>
>...could be completely separate domains, i.e., one person in the US buys
>http://www.xn--exmple-jua.org/ , one in Denmark buys http://www.ex蚓
>ple.org/ . If that situation can arise,

It can't. The "Danish" domain name is being resolved by actually converting
to www.xn--exmple-jua.org. Only www.xn--exmple-jua.org is used on the
wire in the DNS protocol. Top-level registries such as .org will never
hand out literal domains such as xn--exmple-jua.org. On a lower level,
it is technically easy to create such a thing, but it doesn't make
much sense, and it would still be accessible via the "Danish" name.

Regards,    Martin.