Re: [XHR] i18n comment 8: content negotiation handling

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:14:10 +0100, <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Comment:At the end of the section on the send method, this para appears:
> --
> If the user agent implements server-driven content-negotiation it should
> set Accept-Language, Accept-Encoding and Accept-Charset headers as
> appropriate; it must not automatically set the Accept header. Responses
> to such requests must have the content-encodings automatically decoded.
> [RFC2616]
> --
>
> The Accept-Language header is currently the only mechanism available in
> XHR for locale management. It may be important for locale-sensitive
> interactions to convey a language or locale to the server. Thus, it
> would be useful to separately mention the Accept-Language header and its
> use in informing the server of language/locale preference. In addition,
> we suggest you recommend the use of the BCP 47\'s Lookup algorithm(found
> in the RFC 4647 portion of BCP 47) for matching the A-L header.

I think it actually makes sense to require user agents to not set the
Accept-Language as appropriate so that content authors can do that. Making
encoding as transparant as possible from the author point of view makes
sense, but language doesn't really.

I'm going to make a change that will give Accept-Language identical
treatment to Accept.

> Note: the normative words "should", "must not", and "must" all appear in
> non-normative form.

That's because you copy and paste in a way that does not preserve markup.
(I sense an i18n issue here! ;-))

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>