RE: Bidi controls vs markup revamp

Hello Richard,

Some more comments:

A sidebar reads:

We show examples using text in real right-to-left scripts for those who can appreciate them. For those who don't have the necessary support for such scripts, we include an ASCII-only, visually ordered transliteration immediately afterwards that shows where each letter is displayed in the original example.

I find "appreciate" and "don't have the necessary support" confusing.
People might 'appreciate' some Hebrew or Arabic letters even if they
can't read them. And people may want a Latin-based (and I agree with
switching from transliterated Hebrew to upper-case English words)
example anyway, even if they have font support. I think the best
thing here is to restrict yourself to say what you are doing, not
why. People won't have much difficulties figuring out the why.

In the first example, you use a lot of conditionals. I would at least
remove the 'would' from "The correct result when displayed would look
like this:". Why not simply "The correct display looks as follows:".

In the examples, the ASCII version always has a very visible title
("ASCII version"), which in my oppinion makes it stick out too much.

I also think that the term 'paired' is a bit of a problem, because
it is new and it doesn't explain the problem, and even ‎ or so
could be paired in some way, e.g. as in ‎,‎.

Regards,    Martin.