Re: Proposed resolution of HRRI/IRI discussion

At 07:58 07/11/06, Richard Tobin wrote:
>> > And require normative changes to all the specs, which is what we
>> > want to avoid.
>
>> Why would allowing what was allowed by the Grammar in RFC 2732 require
>> to change all the specs?
>
>Because they don't allow them now.  All the specs exclude square
>brackets from the list of characters %-encoded by the processor,
>either by explicitly saying so, or by not listing them.
>
>If LEIRIs said that square brackets in the fragment get %-escaped
>by the processor, and we changed the specs to refer to LEIRIs, that
>would be a normative change.

Hello Richard, Konrad,

Many thanks for discussing all these details. Please feel free to
send further contributions.

On looking through XML itself, XML Schema, and XLink, my understanding
of what these specs allow as syntax in the respective slots coincides
with that of Richard, for the arguments given. However, if the XML
Core WG thinks that additional changes are necessary in the iri-bis
Internet Draft, I'll try to incorporate them.

With kind regards,   Martin.

P.S.: Please note that on strict reading, the href attribute in XLink
does not allow '[' and ']' for IPv6, because it only cites RFC 2732
for explaining why '[' and ']' are excluded, not when defining the
correct target syntax after escaping. This has been fixed in XML V4
by referencing RFC 3986.

Regards,    Martin.