Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

At 01:11 07/10/27, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>> Also, on a second level,
>> many IDN labels already exist, without any big problems.
>
>Speaking of which, I've seen a CENTER

Can you give a URI for CENTER? This is a word that just doesn't
work as such in a search engine.

>study a year or so ago on penetration of
>second level IDN in ccTLDs that allowed them, and it was not very good, a few
>digit% compared to non IDN.

This is very understandable. At the 2004 ICANN meeting in Kuala Lumpur
(the only ICANN meeting I ever participated), I identified the lack of
non-ASCII TLDs and IE6 (which doesn't support IDNs unless you install
a plugin) as the two blocking factors for wide IDN usage. The IE6 market
shares reported are still between 20% and 50%, and non-ASCII TLDs not
available yet, such low numbers come at no surprise to me.

Regards,    Martin.