Re: Tweaks to quicktips cards

Hi Richard and all,

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> We are running low on quick tips cards, but will be able to print more.
Printing are only in English version?
> Before doing so, however, I'd like to improve on some of the text.
>

> Here is the current text (see the format at http://www.w3.org/International/quicktips/quicktips.pdf ):
>
> ===================
>
> W3C Internationalization Quick Tips for the Web
>
> More at http://www.w3.org/International/quicktips/
>
> Encoding. Use Unicode wherever possible for content, databases, etc. Always declare the encoding of content.
>
> Escapes. Only use escapes (e.g.     or  ) in specific circumstances.
>
> Language. Declare the text-processing language of documents and indicate any internal language changes.
>
> Presentation vs. content. Use style sheets for presentational information. Restrict markup to semantics.
>
> Images, animations & examples. Check for translatability and inappropriate cultural bias.
>
> Forms. Use an appropriate encoding on both form and server. Support local formats of names/addresses, times/dates, etc.
>
> Text authoring. Use simple, concise text. Do not compose sentences from multiple strings using scripting.
>
> Navigation. On each page include clearly visible navigation to localized pages or sites. Use the target language.
>
> Right-to-left text. For XHTML, add dir="rtl" to the html tag. Only re-use it to change directionality.
>
> Check your work. Validate! Use techniques, tutorials, and articles at http://www.w3.org/International/
>
> =========================
>

> APPROACH 1: MINIMAL TWEAKS
>
> I propose the following changes:
>
> [1]
> More at http://www.w3.org/International/quicktips/
>
> Details at http://www.w3.org/International/quicktips/
>

> [2]
> Escapes. Only use escapes (e.g.     or  ) in specific circumstances.
>
> Escapes. Use characters rather than escapes (e.g.     or  ) whenever you can.
I suggest:
Only use escapes in specific circumstances. Use characters (e.g.     or  ) whenever you can.

> [3]
> Text authoring. Use simple, concise text. Do not compose sentences from multiple strings using scripting.
>
> Text authoring. Use simple, concise text. Use care when composing sentences from multiple strings.

I would add "Be sure, they are the same encoding". I thinks about
strings from different sources.
> [4]
> Navigation. On each page include clearly visible navigation to localized pages or sites. Use the target language.
>
> Navigation. On each page include clearly visible navigation to localized pages or sites, using the target language.
>
> [5]
> Check your work. Validate! Use techniques, tutorials, and articles at http://www.w3.org/International/
>
> Check your work. Validate! Use best practises, tutorials, and articles at http://www.w3.org/International/
>

> APPROACH 2: REWRITE USING QUESTIONS
>

> Encoding. Use Unicode wherever possible for content, databases, etc. Always declare the encoding of content.
>
> Encoding. Did you use Unicode? Did you declare the character encoding of your content?
>

> Escapes. Only use escapes (e.g.     or  ) in specific circumstances.
>
> Escapes. Did you avoid using escapes (e.g.     or  ) whenever possible?
>

> Language. Declare the text-processing language of documents and indicate any internal language changes.
>
> Language. Did you declare the language of the text, and indicate any internal language changes?
>

> Presentation vs. content. Use style sheets for presentational information. Restrict markup to semantics.
>
> Presentation vs. content. Are you using style sheets for presentational information, and restricting markup to semantics?
>

> Images, animations & examples. Check for translatability and inappropriate cultural bias.
>
> Images, animations & examples. Have you checked for translatability and inappropriate cultural bias?
>

> Forms. Use an appropriate encoding on both form and server. Support local formats of names/addresses, times/dates, etc.
>
> Forms. Are encodings compatible on both form and server? Do you support local formats for names/addresses, times/dates, etc?
>

> Text authoring. Use simple, concise text. Do not compose sentences from multiple strings using scripting.
>
> Text authoring. Do you use simple, concise text? Are there issues due to composing sentences from multiple strings?

+ "Do they use the same encoding?"

> Navigation. On each page include clearly visible navigation to localized pages or sites. Use the target language.
>
> Navigation. Does each page include clearly visible navigation to localized pages or sites, and use the target language?
>

> Right-to-left text. For XHTML, add dir="rtl" to the html tag. Only re-use it to change directionality.
>
> Right-to-left text. Did you add dir="rtl" to the html tag, and only re-use it to change directionality?
>

> Check your work. Validate! Use techniques, tutorials, and articles at http://www.w3.org/International/
>
> Check your work. Does it validate? Did you check out best practises, tutorials, and articles at http://www.w3.org/International/?
>

> Some parts seem to work as questions, but I'm not absolutely convinced that it's a good change throughout - plus these become no longer 'quick tips', more like 'quick checklist'.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> RI
>

> ============
> Richard Ishida
> Internationalization Lead
> W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
>
> http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
> http://www.w3.org/International/
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

-- Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi @ w3.org)Bureau W3C au Maroc
(http://www.w3c.org.ma/)

Ecole Mohammadia d'Ingenieurs, BP 765 Agdal-RABAT Maroc (Morocco)
Phone : +212 (0) 37 68 71 50 (P1711)  Fax : +212 (0) 37 77 88 53
Mobile: +212 (0) 61 22 00 30