From: Martin Duerst [mailto:duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 12:41 PM
To: Richard Ishida; public-i18n-core@w3.org
Cc: 'NayyaraKaramat'; 'Sarmad Hussain'
Subject: Re: Urdu IDNs

Hello Richard, others,

Would it be possible to explain the purpose of this data a bit better?
Is this data that ICANN is currently collecting? Has the list of
characters in the "Character Set" sheet been compared to what's
currently allowed under IDNA?

For the caracter list, it would be good to have a distinction between
characters that are not needed for Urdu and characters that are
problematic for Urdu (because e.g. they may cause misunderstandings).
That will help sort things out when this data is merged with data
from other languages that use the same script.

Also, the translations/proposals for ccTLDs and gTLDs, are they
Urdu-specific or could they also work with other languages that
use Arabic? Obviously, there is e.g. only one .aero for all languages
that use the Latin script, and I don't see the point of creating
more than one equivalent for those languages that use the Arabic
script (or any other script, for that purpose). But ICANN may
not have understood this yet, or may just want to collect data
in a preparatory step.

Regards,    Martin.

At 20:52 07/06/28, Richard Ishida wrote:
>This is a request for feedback from Sarmad Hussain, at Center for Research
>in Urdu Language Processing FAST National University.  He is looking at
Urdu