Re: I18n comment: xml and namespaces version

"Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
www-style@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:57:27 +0900, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
wrote:

> * Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>> At http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0601-css3-selectors/

>> and that is the reason why it should say what happens if there is a
>> clash
>> in versions. Or it should add a note to warn the users of such clashes,
>> e.g. saying
>>
>> "This specification does not provide mechanisms to avoid clashes which
>> might occur due to different versions of markup languages. An example
>> are
>> clashes between different versions of XML.
>
> Could you give an example of such a "clash" or how mechanisms to avoid
> them could look like?

Example for XHTML:
<?xml version="1.0" ...?>
<head> ...
<!--
@namespace foo url(XXX);
  foo|h1 { color: blue }
/* ... ... */
-->
</head>...
This is an error if "XXX" contains characters which are not part of the
NCName production in XML 1.0. In the case of XHTML it is an error anyway,
since XHTML has a normative reference to XML 1.0 . But if I understand you
correctly, you want selectors to be used for a variety, possibly currently
not yet existing document languages. You should prepare the creators /
users of such languages by telling them that such clashes are sources for
errors.
Mechanism to avoid such errors: state that they have to be avoided, as the
XML 1.0 spec does.