Re: Comment on LTLI WD

Part of the problem is that the Java Locale is really misnamed (mea
culpa!!). It, like the CLDR locale or the ICU locale, is really a
language (with a bit of extra cruft since it wasn't clearly separated
originally).

And part of the issue is the "locale" means *such* different things to
different people. If you define it as a set of preferences associated
with a particularly user community, it is overly broad. If you narrow it
to a given user community with a shared language and physical location,
it gets narrower; but perhaps too narrow. But there is a broad range of
interpretation. For a given company, the people in a given postal code
might be the granularity they need; or a given tax region (eg city +
county + state in the US); or a given timezone. But physical location is
also too narrow, since what you might want is the set of users
associated with a given policy (eg subject to US tax law) no matter
where they are physically located.