Re: [CSS3 Text] word-space-symbol Property

On Monday 19 September 2005 10:05, Richard Ishida wrote:
> I am copying in the i18n WG to this thread.  Would anyone who
> responds please also do so. Thanks.

[...]
> > Also... an issue relevant to ethiopic wordspace and line
> > breaking rules is that the space symbol is legal and expected
> > at the end of line.

Another problem is that the space in CSS is treated as mark-up: it
separates words, it doesn't print any glyph. If the distance between
words is reduced (to fit an extra word on the line or because of
negative 'word-spacing'), there may not be enough room for the chosen
symbol.

You could say that the chosen symbol is printed in the middle of the
space, whether or not it fits (the middle dot nearly always fits), but
if Ethiopian typography requires that the space is never narrower than
the Ethiopian space, this presents an extra complication for the line
breaking algorithm.

As for the other values:

  - nb-space: I assume this is a non-breaking space. This is already
    handled by the 'white-space' property.

  - aegean | ideographic | tibetan | ugaritic: what are these?
    Ideographic scripts don't put spaces between words, do they?

Bert