Ruby: Requirements and prioritization

Dear colleagues,

I would like to thank those who are very interested in
HTML5 Ruby.  They help CJK users a lot.  But I would
like to request more study of requirements and
prioritization.

First, Bopomofo ruby of Taiwan is not supported well.  More
about this, see the attached mail from Bobby Tung.

Second, in a workshop "eBooks: Great Expectations
for Web Standards", the CSS WG chair pointed out
an issue with CSS Ruby(WD), from which EPUB3
borrows a feature (-epub-ruby-position).    But this
working draft is old and is not being developed by any
member of the CSS WG.  IDPF is aware that this
feature is mandatory for the support of Bopomofo
ruby for horizontal writing.

Third, the Electronic Book Publishers Association of Japan
conducted a survey of requirements last year.  Twenty
features are about Ruby.  All features except the distinction
of mono/group/jukugo ruby are ruby formatting.  Double-side
ruby is not mentioned.

http://www.ebpaj.jp/images/youbou.pdf (in Japanese)

Fourth, a number of pages in JLREQ are devoted to Ruby.
Again, they are about the distinction of mono/group/jukugo
ruby as well as ruby formatting.  Only two sentences are
devoted to double-side ruby, and it is described as
"very rare."

http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#ruby_and_emphasis_dots

Fifth, some of you remember that I am against HTML
double-side ruby.  My mails did not change anything, but
they are available at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-cjk/2012JanMar/0071.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-cjk/2012JanMar/0067.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-cjk/2012JanMar/0057.html

Regards,
Makoto (lead of the Enhanced Global Language Support sub-group of the
IDPF EPUB WG)