Re: Ruby extension: page for review

On 02/15/2013 11:52 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> Could I ask you to take a look at http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html ...

These are very interesting examples! I have a couple questions on them.

In the example with 振り仮名...

   - How is this expected to render if the editor wanted the annotations
     inline?

   - In the markup with an empty <rt>, it would render correctly, but
     the accessibility story would be broken because you would replace
     り with nothing if you were replacing the bases with their <rt>s.

   - If you were providing an English or katakana gloss over 振り仮名 in
     addition to the kana, that might create an interesting situation...

       * If there is no way to have a "blank i.e. use the base" <rt>,
         then I don't think the ruby extension markup (or XHTML Ruby
         for that matter) could handle it. (HTML5 might be able to
         handle the English gloss, but not the katakana one.)

       * What would inline annotations look like for such a case?

~fantasai