Re: First strong on strings surrounded by isolate controls

On 2016/09/15 02:54, r12a wrote:

> New contribution:
>
> Interesting.  This question arose while i was trying to clarify how best
> to handle paragraph base direction for strings such as would be
> encountered in JSON.  See
> http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/json-bidi.html
>
> we're trying to find ways to keep the paragraph direction associated
> with the string, so that the string is correctly displayed when used in
> a web page or such.
>
> you'll see that we look at the possibility of wrapping strings in
> RLI..PDI as one possible approach, but this means that actually the
> consumer of the string would not know, in such a case, that the string
> is RTL.
>
> If it keeps the control characters, it would display the contained text
> correctly, but it would presumably be difficult to choose an appropriate
> dir value if the preference was to use markup for direction in the
> destination.  Also, if the direction of the string is used to determine
> the alignment on the page (left or right), as i think is the case for
> CSS, then the rendering application would not get the right cue.

This is a very high level, speculative comment, but I'll make it anyway:

You sound as if the isolates are too isolated. My understanding is that
we introduced the isolates because the embeddings were not independent
(isolated) enough and interacted with their surroundings too much.

Did we overdo (if maybe even just so sligthly) the isolation when we
created isolates? Or would we (at least in theory) need a third kind of
range, somewhere in between isolates and embeddings in independency?

Regards,   Martin.

--
Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology