Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 11:24:17 +0100
To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
CC: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/24/14 9:30 AM, James Clark wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com
> <mailto:szilles@adobe.com>> wrote:
>
>     */Thus, in CSS/HTML, changing to Bold or Italics is not (strictly)
>     a font change./*
>

> Surely the model is that you are selecting a font by specifying its
> desired properties, specifically the family name, weight, width, slope
> and size.
>
>     */Furthermore, it would seem that doing joining across these
>     changes is more likely to work (given the Bold and Italic versions
>     of a font family are designed together) than changes between
>     arbitrary fonts. Thus it would seem to make sense to not do breaks
>     for changes between Bold and Italics versus changes in font
>     families./*
>

> I would agree bold vs non-bold is more likely to work; I don't think
> italic vs non-italic is (unless you used the OpenType 'ital' feature).
>
> Unrelated question just for my personal interest: how commonly are
> italic fonts used in Arabic?

To my experience, italic is not a common use in Arabic.  Emphasis is
traditionally done by changing style/design, for example different font
or color, bold style, or simply quotation marks. Some times by drawing a
line over the letters.

Najib