Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 15:30:42 +0700
To: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Cc: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:

>   *Thus, in CSS/HTML, changing to Bold or Italics is not (strictly) a
> font change.*

Surely the model is that you are selecting a font by specifying its desired
properties, specifically the family name, weight, width, slope and size.

> * Furthermore, it would seem that doing joining across these changes is
> more likely to work (given the Bold and Italic versions of a font family
> are designed together) than changes between arbitrary fonts. Thus it would
> seem to make sense to not do breaks for changes between Bold and Italics
> versus changes in font families.*

I would agree bold vs non-bold is more likely to work; I don't think italic
vs non-italic is (unless you used the OpenType 'ital' feature).

Unrelated question just for my personal interest: how commonly are italic
fonts used in Arabic?

James