RE: HTML attribute with no value

Hi.
________________________________
> From: aharon@google.com
> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:50:19 +0200
> To: ntounsi@emi.ac.ma
> CC: tabatkins@google.com; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
> Subject: Re: HTML attribute with no value
>
>> I would prefer ubi as boolean attribute.
>> equivalent to (or "on" (or "true")),
>> otherwise, it is "off" (or "false").
>
> ubi can not be a boolean attribute in the exact same sense that
> selected is, since selected does not have an explicit false value. If
> it's omitted, its false. For ubi, we want an explicit false value
> because there are cases when it is true by default. Thus, the "off"
> value, which no real boolean attribute has.
>
> Nevertheless, it is certainly our intention that should
> be equivalent to (or whatever we want to call the true
> value). The question is how exactly to formally define ubi in order to
> achieve that, and whether the true value implied by giving the
> attribute with no value has to be "ubi", or can be the more meaningful
> "on".
>
> Aharon

Hi, and sorry for my delayed response.
I hope also for something close to a boolean value (ubi=yes or on or whatever, ubi=no, default might be specified with an empty string; whatever works for html 5).

(I also have a few other comments and some minor and almost unecessary proofreading comments for sections 1 and 2 which I am sending separately; will get to section 3 eventually;
best wishes to all of you and let me know if there is anything I can do for the draft besides proofread section 3 as I am doing o.k. for now . . . much better than I was.)
Thanks,
Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com