Re: ALReq Weekly Meeting, 7 March 2017: Telecon Minutes

Martin, Khaled,

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:33 PM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
wrote:

> On 2017/03/08 10:44, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:55:31AM -0800, Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
>>

>    Behnam: A discussion about spacing is whether increase the
>>>    space after the period.
>>>    ... This also comes up around other punctuations.
>>>    ... These are some of the issues that we want to talk about.
>>>
>>>    Mostafa: Wondering if this topic is too detailed for the scope
>>>    of our document.
>>>    ... Specially that these are general typography discussions,
>>>    not specially about Arabic.
>>>

>> I tend to agree here and also since such typographic choices (at least
>> in Arabic) seems to vary over time and house styles; some publication
>> insert spaces around all punctuation marks with more preference to
>> expend space after period and coma for justification but also shrink all
>> such spaces when fitting more text in the line is needed (this is seen
>> more in older publications), and some follow more or less the modern
>> practices of English typography, and some even invent rules of their own
>> (like thin spaces before some punctuation and regular spaces after them)

Right. We agreed that we don't want to get to the typographic choices in
the document and limit the scope to the "size" of space, as a word
separator and other use cases, including spaces before/after punctuation
marks, and answer the question whether all these spaces---if decided to be
there by the author/editor---are supposed to be the same size, or not.

-Behnam