Re: Kitâb Al-Fihrist, by Muḥammad ibn Isḥāq Ibn al-Nadīm

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 04:58:04PM +0900, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> >But here are a few parts I found interesting:
>
> >And, listing LAM+ALEF "ligature" as a "letter" of the script. [p358]
>
> I'd guess that's just okay from a historical point of view, but given how
> Unicode deals with LAM+ALEF, it's much better to call it a ligature in our
> context.

It used to be quite popular in elementary schools (at least in Egypt) to
include LAM+ALEF before YEH as an independent letter of the alphabet,
but I remember how many people (including my father) was strongly
against it and considered it very wrong. I’m not sure if it is still the
case.

Regards,
Khaled