Re: [minutes] Arabic layout telecon 2015-09-29

Dear Arabic Typography experts,

Some small comments from a bystander:

On 2015/09/30 16:08, Richard Ishida wrote:
> the minutes of this meeting can be found here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2015/09/29-alreq-minutes.html

>     shervin: i also wanted to say that almost all large
>     universities and companies have some kind of style guides
>     ... i checked a couple of them in arabic speaking world
>     ... we should take them with caution, but if we put 5 alongside
>     each other we may find useful common trends

Common trends is one thing. The breadth of typographic tradition is
another. If there are two or more well-established ways of doing
something, that points to the need for a CSS property to control it.

>     najib: is there a plan for a FTF meeting?
>
>     shervin: some people meet at the Unicode conference, but
>     nothing is planned now

I look forward to meet you guys there! It would be great if one or two
people (maybe the chairs?) could sign up to give a lightning talk at the
Unicode Conference. We introduced lightning talks exactly for things
like the Arabic layout taskforce, which are new developments than may
not yet have produced enough results for a full talk, but for which it's
highly beneficial to get out the word. The length of a lightning talk
ideally is about 5 minutes, so it's much less work for preparation.

I'm one of the session chairs for lightning talks, so please write
directly to me!

Looking forward to hear from you soon,   Martin.