Re: Project Introduction

Hi Markus,

It has been awhile since I we started this thread.  I have been busy on
other projects during this time.  However, I would like to answer some
of your questions.    Our implementation of Hyrda for Tripal was not
fully complete when I first sent the email below and we didn't have a
working demo at the time.  We now do! Hyrda-based RESTful web services
are part of our new Tripal v3 version which is approaching stability and
we expect a stable release in the coming months.

If you'd like to check out a demo of Tripal v3 you can find it via the
'Demo Site' link on the http://tripal.info website or here:
http://demo.tripal.info/3.x/

The web services are compatible with the HydraConsole so if you're
interested you can browse through them with this link:

http://www.markus-lanthaler.com/hydra/console/?url=http://demo.tripal.info/3.x/web-services

The web services are current read-only.   But we'd like to add the
ability for full CRUD support.   I do have some questions, though, about
that.  Is the mailing list the proper venue to ask those questions?

Thanks,
Stephen

On 8/21/2017 12:50 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 17 Aug 2017 at 01:44, Stephen Ficklin wrote:
>> As suggested by Markus in a GitHub issue
>> (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_lanthaler_HydraConsole_issues_26-23issuecomment-2D3132176&d=DwIFaQ&c=C3yme8gMkxg_ihJNXS06ZyWk4EJm8LdrrvxQb-Je7sw&r=j-ywhwnhi_AAeuA49VAKD_6OCxW3YH40WVtBDjy9t6c&m=SLIcRfYPG8-Kv7uz9_h4E5X6yNvvv39OvQnMGGfPhbU&s=FKOb42BvhKlVsE8Lv36ID0jAccCgeRUxbXP3CgDcelk&e=
>> 84). I'm writing to introduce a project we're working on that includes
>> Hydra as the framework for our API.  The project is Tripal
>> (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tripal.info_&d=DwIFaQ&c=C3yme8gMkxg_ihJNXS06ZyWk4EJm8LdrrvxQb-Je7sw&r=j-ywhwnhi_AAeuA49VAKD_6OCxW3YH40WVtBDjy9t6c&m=SLIcRfYPG8-Kv7uz9_h4E5X6yNvvv39OvQnMGGfPhbU&s=_so6XTos6tV2GiZOIcwt7oFzy5miRS0L6v2FKF1fujU&e= ). Tripal is an open-source, freely available
> Thanks a lot for sharing this! This is really exciting
>

>> toolkit for construction of online biological databases.  Genomics is
>> undergoing a massive increase in the quantity of data available across
>> all species.  Often, researchers who generate this type of data need a
>> way to publish them in a searchable online website for their research
>> communities using common data standards.  The Tripal project is intended
>> to decrease the barrier for wet-bench scientists to publish their data,
>> and to provide a common framework for development of groups with more
>> advanced IT folks.    With multiple genome projects now using Tripal
>> from across the world we're working to make data in Tripal sites
>> exchangeable in a federated manner via web services using controlled
>> vocabularies.  Our approach has been to choose Hydra for this.  We are
>> funded by several US National Science Foundation (NSF) award to make
>> this happen.
> I had a quick look at the website but I didn't really understand at what stage the project currently is. Are you just getting started with Hydra or did you already integrate it?
>

>> We'd love to be a bit more integrated with the Hydra community, and hope
>> there may be some interest in our project, and I'm happy to share
>> further details for anyone interested.
> If you have a demo or something that would be awesome. Apart from that, I'd like to invite you to participate in the further development of Hydra [1] and the reference client implementation [2] on GitHub. What might be interesting would be if you could have a look at the existing use cases [3] (we will use them as base for the implementation of the reference client) and send pull requests if you have requirements which aren't covered by those yet.
>
> If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
>

> Thanks again for sharing this,
> Markus

> [...]

Stephen Ficklin, PhD
Assistant Professor