Re: Gitter room for Hydra

On 29 September 2015 at 22:54, Thomas Hoppe <thomas.hoppe@n-fuse.de> wrote:

>>> "We do have an IRC channel is never used" is a pretty good reason why
>>> Gitter should be considered.
>>>
>> Is it? :-)
>>

> I think _not_. Gitter is quite new and only popular among developers which
> deal with recent stuff.
> But we should not limit the discussion to developers, what about non-devs
> that just
> want to discuss with us and don't happen to have a GitHub account.
> IRC's acceptance is just bigger and that's why it should be used.

FWIW quite a few other teams in the linked data space have been using
gitter instead of IRC.  It's been a great choice so far.  IRC hasnt been.
Non devs and devs participate.  I've also written a logger to save files in
RDF.  Anyone can start a room, and invite people to join, often you can get
a good group up very quickly.

If it's not desired from the hydra root, it's quite easily possible for
another root to be used.  Just fire up a publc chat room of the form
gitter.im/parent/hydra ... perhaps it would be a good idea to start a
general Linked Data type parent project of which hydra is one type of
solution ...