RE: Call for consensus for the pagination design (ISSUE-42)

On 19 Okt 2015 at 08:00, Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
>>  - replace firstPage/nextPage/previousPage/lastPage with
>> first/next/previous/last
>
> The intent is not to align this with IANA link relations, neither
> semantically, nor in serialization (naming)?

Maybe you misread what I wrote, we are very closely aligned. Both semantically as well as in the naming.

>>  - remove itemsPerPage for the time being (we will likely re-introduce it
>> with a different name)
>
> What about "skip" and "top"?

That would be offset and limit in non-OData terminology. We will discuss that separately. The goal here is to get the most basic model specified.

> More on that; has any work been done to
> see how hydra:Collection fits with OData querying[1]? While it would
> be fairly easy to stuff OData queries inside hydra:Collection
> properties, using similar naming for the properties that describe the
> same concepts, could perhaps be smart.
>
> Even though hydra:Collection and OData Queries are orthogonal, I think
> it would be good to have a look at OData as a whole while designing
> Hydra, just to get as much input into the process as possible. It's an
> OASIS standard and although it doesn't build on RDF, it tries to solve
> many of the same problems as Hydra.

I looked at OData in detail quite a while ago. We can have a separate discussion about what of OData's aspects would be worth supporting in the Hydra core vocab.

>> This serves as a call for consensus. Before I proceed with marking ISSUE-42
>> [2] as resolved and implementing the changes in the spec, I would like to
>> ask if anyone has any concerns or objections against this proposal.
>
> Not objections per se and I wish I had seen the correlation to OData
> sooner, but given that OData is a rather popular protocol (NuGet runs on
> it, for instance), it would be unwise of us not to consider it, imho.

NuGet is switching from OData to a JSON-LD powered Web API:

  http://oredev.org/2014/sessions/nuget-3-0--transitioning-from-odata-to-json-ld