Re: Pagination (ISSUE-42)

February 4 2015 9:34 AM, "Markus Lanthaler" <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> It is the most basic form. The only way to achieve interoperability is to define some controls. We
> may end up having just those basic controls or we may end up supporting also more sophisticated
> ones.. but we definitely need some to be able to create interoperable clients/servers.

I'm on the fence about this. I'm moderately convinced that defining these controls as part of Hydra core is not a good idea. If anything, they should be in a separate spec IMO. Though I still don't understand why the next/previous is required in the first place. Interoperability be achieved simply by using the API documentation, so couldn't that approach be encouraged? After all that's what hypermedia controls are for. Each API could define their own way for navigating between pages and they should work with any compliant client.

Bottom line is I wouldn't like to have all different ways for pagination in Hydra core. I think that it attempts to achieve too much and will only force more complicated clients, which will have to check for many specialized properties.