Re: What is the correct media-type for a Hydra specification?

On 4/28/15 1:50 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> hello kingsley.
>
> On 2015-04-27 17:18 , Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> A Language is a Framework for systematic use of signs, syntax, and
>> semantics for encoding and decoding information [data in some context].
>
> sure. no disagreement here. but that's very unspecific, and according
> to this, anything in computer communications is a language (which is
> true, but not very useful to differentiate a little). while RDF is a
> language, it more importantly is a language for building languages,
> which to me is an (or even the most) important aspect of it.
>
> so while i agree that "format" is not a good word to talk about RDF,
> in the end a model without a format makes no sense in any scenario
> that requires information exchange. we need formats to communicate.

How bad a little tweaking.

I quickly typed up some suggestions.

[[
In the context of this specification, "description" refers to
information that is intended for machine consumption. Typical formats
for this are dictated by the technology underlying the service itself,
which means that in today's technology landscape, description formats
exist that are based on XML, JSON, RDF, and a variety of other
languages. Also, in each of those technologies, there may be a variety
of languages that are defined to achieve the same general purpose of
describing a Web service.
]]

Suggestion:

""
In the context of this specification, "description" refers to a
*document* that is readable by *both humans and machines*. The
content-types of these documents include those associated with existing
*markup languages* such as: HTML, JSON, RDF etc.
""

[[
   Descriptions are always structured, but the structuring principles
depend on the nature of the described service. For example, one of the
earlier service description approaches, the Web Services Description
Language (WSDL), uses "operations" as its core concept, which are
essentially identical to function calls, because the underlying model is
based on that of Remote Procedure Calls (RPC). Other description
languages for non-RPC approaches to services will use different
structuring approaches.
]]

Suggestion:

"""
The nature and orientation of a description is wide and varied. It can
range from an RPC oriented mechanism such as the XML based Web Services
Description Language (WSDL) to an RDF based description using terms from
vocabularies such as schema.org, Hydra etc..
"""

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen