Re: Fwd: Hydra and Shapes

On 11/27/2014 1:29, tomasz@t-code.pl wrote:
> Hi Holger
>
> I've also been thinking about using SPIN on the client. In addition to constraint validation I was also thinking about using spin:constructor to allow the client to initialize a state of a new resource. Even better the server can hand out "personalized" CONSTRUCTS to individual clients.

Yes, I see very few use cases of spin:constructor in its current form -
I guess that's because it cannot take parameters. It would be easy to
attach a list of parameterized constructors to a class, e.g. as
spin:ConstructTemplates. I'd certainly appreciate requirements and use
cases so that we can add this in. Maybe a property such as spin:factory
would be enough, that points from an rdfs:Class to
spin:ConstructTemplate, and ?this would identify the new instance.

>   I think SPIN on clients can be a best so far realization Roy Fielding's Code-on-demand REST contraint.
>
> But please correct me if I'm wrong, AFAIK executing SPARQL is necessary but it's not enough to fully appreciate SPIN. And it's a shame that after all those years TopBraid's is probably the sole SPIN implementation. At least I haven't seen any other yet.

Let's hope that the Shapes group is a stepping stone to producing
something "similar to" SPIN with a W3C logo on it. If that happens, then
I am confident that more implementations will emerge soon. From the six
database vendors that I had contacted, all were very interested in this
topic. And then there could be client side engines, a Sesame API etc.
Plenty of opportunities for useful open source and thesis projects. The
language is a relatively thin layer on top of SPARQL and therefore quite
easy to implement.

Thanks,
Holger