Re: Tie-in to HTTP in Hydra

On Sunday 15. June 2014 21.38.33 Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> True. The thing, however, is that we don't have a lot of resources and it
> is not something people have been asking for. In fact (if I remember
> correctly and setting aside a couple of discussions with Sam), you are
> the first to bring this topic up. So if you would like to spearhead that
> effort, please write up a little draft to get this off the ground. It
> doesn't need to be formal at all... a simple wiki page or GitHub issue
> would be more than enough to start discussions and see if people are
> interested.

OK, cool! I'll try! Also, Ruben and I have a master's student (hi
Kristoffer!) who is going to work on hypermedia. I have the feeling this is
too simple for a master's though.

> Yeah, it's easy for you to do because you know all of this. But what if I
> send a friend of mine the URL
>
>   rtsp://camhost1.orienteering.org/stream
>
> He can stream the video, but that's it. There's no way for him to get any
> data about this camera. On the other hand, if I would send him
>
>   http://venue.orienteering.org/cam/1
>
> He would be able to get to that data.. and if you include the link to the
> stream there, he can also stream the video. Why make it more complicated
> to consumers than necessary?

Because if rtsp://camhost1.orienteering.org/stream doesn't exist, they can't
stream...? :-) Really, I didn't quite understand what was complicated about
it... The point is merely that you want to be able to make statements about
rtsp://camhost1.orienteering.org/stream and so it has to be in the subject
of some RDF, and then a subject or (S)CBD is overly restrictive.

> Would you be interested to try to add another protocol? If so, which one?

RTSP seems like a good choice...

Kjetil