Re: 404 Re: Comments on the Triple Patterns Fragments draft

On Thursday 31. July 2014 22.55.59 David Booth wrote:
> I should add that requiring the client to special case the 404 result
> may be particularly unpleasant for the client programmer, because it
> breaks separation levels: it forces an error code to be reinterpreted as
> a legitimate data result, so the code cannot cleanly process error codes
> separately from legitimate data results.  It is qualitatively different
> from, for example, deciding at the business logic level to process 1
> result differently than 5 results.

I'm with Ruben here, I would certainly not be required to interprete the
payload of the error separately. I don't know about other environments
though.

The whole difference is that with a 200, I would have to parse the payload to
see if there was an empty result, with 404, I can safely conclude already
once the HTTP response is parsed.

For a SPARQL implementation on the top of LDF, that sounds like huge win to
me: If a single triple pattern of a BGP returns a 404, I can stop processing
that BGP and return an empty result for the whole BGP, while I would have to
parse the result if it returned a 200 for every triple pattern.

Cheers,

Kjetil