From: Kingsley Idehen [mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 11:53 PM
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: Re: An updated draft of the schema.org/Action proposal

On 2/10/14 5:13 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Re-adding public-hydra (and including Kingsley's complete message below)
>

> On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:27 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 2/10/14 3:00 PM, Sam Goto wrote:
>>> Thus we probably need an alternative for the time being. One option
>>> would be (as I mentioned to you in another mail) to separately
>>> describe Web resources and "app resources".
>> How about distinguishing Web Resources and Web Services (instead of
>> "app resources") ?
> An "app resource" in this context means a deeplink into a native app. For
> example a deeplink into an iOS, Android, Windows, etc. app.

Yes, but all of the items you've just references are in fact services
that have addressing via links (pointers).

Unlike the desktop, mobile platforms already work with a plethora of URI
schemes which makes data pipes (like unix) serve as a loosely coupled
mechanism for data and app/service integration. That works on iOS as I
type.

>   They are not
> really web resources (they use proprietary URL schemes) but use URIs as
> identifiers.

In RDF parlance (which I disagree with) everything (real or imagined) is
a Resource. In clearer (or my preferred terminology) URIs denote
entities (things).

When a URI offers both denotation and connotation i.e., name and
description lookup (as per Linked Data principles, for instance using
HTTP URIs) iOS, Android, Windows etc.. are just services accessible via
HTTP. They provide access to data object resources that can be named and
de-referenced using HTTP. Basically, HTTP is still driving state
transitions of the data exposed by the aforementioned services, via
interaction patterns.

Apps have always been service providers :-)

Kingsley