Re: plural properties should become singular

On 2/3/14 1:45 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Yes it does. But best to use it in situations where utility is utterly
>>> obvious, as opposed to adding this kind of relation to every property
>>> description. Thus, it should be used sparingly.
>> I quite like how GoodRelations is using it:
>>
>>   http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html#conventions
>>
>> but that might indeed be overkill for Hydra. In other words, I don't have a
>> strong opinion about this.
> Ultimately, if Hydra is intended to become a W3C Recommendation, working nicely with other specs, such as OWL may be an important factor. However, if the real world is geared towards influencing schema.org, then some alternative is probably necessary, as schema.org is already inconsistent with OWL (e.g., rangeIncludes/domainIncludes).
>
> For my projects, i've often use OWL Restrictions to impose cardinality and range constraints, but with my web-developer hat on, this is really difficult to understand, so having an alternative notation would be useful, as long as we can give it some formal semantics which may tie it back to OWL.

Gregg,

We should use OWL where relations appropriate. Let's not make-up some
kind-of-OWL thing for the sake of schema.org (which does have the issues
you've raised, for sure). It's better for OWL relations to be in place
for processors that possess OWL processing capability -- as a way of
planning for a future where relation semantics are either better
understood and/or there will be a few high impact agents showcasing
their utility etc... For the more typical Web application, these
relations will simply be ignored, and maybe occasionally misused :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen