RE: Moving forward with ISSUE-30 (IRI template expansion)

On 20 Aug 2014 at 14:40, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>> Yep. The question is how similar they will be. Or, in other words,
>> how easy is it to distinguish them.
>
> Very easy for machines, who are the main (only?) users.
> They just read the variableRepresentation property to find out what
> they should do.

Some people mentioned that they would like to be able to "hack" URLs if
possible. It might also be important when you are looking at logs to find
out what's going wrong etc.

> And maybe that's a point we shouldn't forget:
> there's not much opportunity for error, as machines will use the
templates,
> not us.

Right, but it is still humans that write and debug the code.

>>> Note that these mean different things anyway!
>>> In our template syntax, it would express the string:
>>>    ""Markus"" In Turtle syntax, It would express the string: Markus
>>
>> Right, that was the point I was trying to make. Especially if you are
used
>> to Turtle, it is very easy to miss the fact that the angular brackets are
>> missing in the second example.
>
> I'd argue the first case is more confusing then. It has angular brackets,
> but still parses to {""Markus""}, not {Markus}.

Right. Contrasting that with something using different delimiters might make
my point clearer

   """Markus"""^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string>
   *""Markus""*$http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string

>> Perhaps just using different delimiters?
>
> Yet that still doesn't help literals without language or type. E.g.,:
>
>     "Mar\'kus"
> parses to {Mark'us} in Turtle, but to {Mark\'us} in templates.

See above. We don't have to use Turtle's delimiters if we aren't compatible
with it anyway.