Re: making RDF model visible in spec [was: representing hypermedia controls in RDF]

On 11/27/13 6:57 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:35 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Markus: you have to be as clear as possible about how RDF and Hydra are
>> related.
> Hydra is a RDF vocabulary. Nothing more, nothing less. Isn't that clear?
> Some concrete suggestion on how to make this clearer (apart from including
> Turtle examples)?

Please rewind to your exchange with Reuben, hence my comments. Turtle is
a notation (or so called concrete syntax), like JSON-LD, both enable
structured data representation using the RDF model (which includes it
relation semantics). The problem is that said "relation semantics" have
to be discernible (readable) and comprehensible (understandable re.
entailments) to both humans an machines. Thus, if you continue to insist
on JSON-LD only, or question the virtues of Turtle, you end up with
RDF/XML circa. 2013 where humans can't actually discern or comprehend
the intricacies of the relation semantics expressed in the
vocabulary/ontology.

Remember, the flawed justification for RDF/XML was that is was for
machines. Basically, that it was for coders that wrote programs that
machines understood. It cost this entire Semantic Web project 15 lost
years. Even today, as already expressed, Turtle and JSON-LD aren't
official standards, so it remains quite easy to ridicule the "Semantic
Web" phrase when RDF/XML remains the official standard i.e., default
used in all examples re. OWL and RDF Schema etc..

Many of us have been there and done that, many times over, during the
last 15 years re. RDF. We don't want to ever go back to the mess created
by RDF/XML, never ever.

If you are using RDF then there shouldn't be any debating it virtues,
especially when it is already being used to drive the semantics
expressed by the Hydra vocabulary/ontology.

>>  From my vantage point, you are already using the RDF model
>> because I can already spot your exploitation of its prowess. Of course,
>> that doesn't necessarily imply you are embracing Linked Data
>> principles, but that's a secondary matter at this juncture :-)
> Well, Hydra tries to finally combine REST and Linked Data into a practical
> approach. So I try to fully "embrace the Linked Data principles".

Okay, but as I said, its secondary for now. When we come to this bridge,
I am sure we can get over any concerns with ease and good examples etc..
You are knowledgeable enough about these matters for this to be a simple
affair :-)

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO