Re: What does "Link" mean?

On 11/22/13 9:17 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:05 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Markus and others,
>>
>> Looking at [1] what does <http://purl.org/hydra/core#Link> mean?
>>
>> The following triple doesn't shed much light on the intention behind
>> this property subclass:
>>
>> <http://purl.org/hydra/core#Link> rdfs:comment "The class of properties
>> representing links."
>>
>> In my eyes, "Link" is too generic as currently. For instance <a/> is a
>> hyperlink used to anchor text in HTML and through that specific
>> affordances manifest via user agents (e.g., browsers) that understand
>> HTML.
> Exactly, it is just as generic as the <a> tag in HTML. It is basically used
> to distinguish between "relationships" in which (without other out of band
> knowledge) the IRIs used as objects are interpreted as identifiers vs.
> hyperlinks where the IRIs used as objects are interpreted as affordances
> that invite a client to dereference them.
>
> In practice, you would of course define your own properties and just them as
> being hydra:Links.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes.

> Do you still think it is too generic?

You are trying to express and old pattern from OO where an object *has*
two kinds of properties:

1. data part (or item) property ;
2. method (or operations) property -- that deals with operations on the
objects data.

Thus, you are looking for a property that has range: :Service and
domain: foaf:Agent (since a foaf:Agent is a class of thing capable of
mechanized behavior e.g., People, Organizations, Software, Machines etc.).

:Service class would be the domain of properties that handles URL
templates [1].

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openlinksw.com%2Fontology%2Flicenses%23BuyService
-- example of how we currently deal with this issue of service
invocation (a kind of WSDL for Linked Data).

[2]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Frdfs.org%2Fsioc%2Fservices%23Service
-- Service definition from SIOC (ignore the rdf:comments they are really
old and victims of cut and paste; this wasn't supposed to be scoped to a
site, its scope is an entity capable of mechanized behavior).

Kingsley

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO