Re: Normative references to works in progress

Additionally, I think we've not been as good as we'd like about keeping the copy of the document on TR as up to date as it should be. If the WHATWG choses to link to a document that is pre-CR, it's their choice (and we can question in along the lines of what Chaals mentioned), but so be it. But when they chose to link to an editor's draft for a document that has a copy on TR, it reflects more on our ability to keep the official copy up to date than on our differences of policy about what gives a draft its standing.

There are probably a number of documents for which the TR copy is up to date and for which they still link to the editor's draft, but that's to no small degree due to the fact that we have indeed been bad at keeping things updated. I think we're getting better (partly through better process, through better tooling, and better habits), and as individual documents do become well-maintained on TR, it is reasonable to ask the WHATWG to start pointing to the proper place. But I would expect some inertia there as well.

—Florian