Re: Generalizing Markup for Interlinear Text Presentation

Florian,

I am grateful for the response, thank you and better late than never as the
saying goes. The primary limitations that I have encountered is support to
present more than one line of interlinear text bound to and aligned with
one or more characters in the base text. The individual lines must also be
independent from one another and will have separate semantics.  Nested Ruby
markup at first appears to be a layout solution but the overlapping markup
problem intervenes in some layout use cases.

CSS work arounds are available to create the desired visual effects, but
are really only suitable for a single browser and version.  The most
successful work around leads to duplication of the base text for each
interlinear line needed. A standard for multiline interlinear layout
requirements should address the portability and duplication issues.

The pages indexed in the link below provide a description of the Zaima
practice, a document model, use-cases, and browser test pages.  If time is
limited I would direct you to the model and use-cases pages first. Note
that the HTML+CSS sample demonstrations are very, very sensitive to
browser, browser version and font choices and have been optimized for
Chrome 61 and higher:

  http://w3c.github.io/elreq/zaima/

The model document attempts to present a general solution for Chant
semantics, then develops markup that is specific to Zaima documents.  I am
not familiar with the special layout requirements of other chant traditions
but simple inspection indicates that many requirements are common.

I'm sparing some details now but am happy to respond to questions.

thank you,

-Daniel