Minutes Re: Agenda: HTML telecon; Mon 15th May, 8pm UTC

Online at https://www.w3.org/2017/05/15-html-minutes.html and below for
convenience:

                                   HTML

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/05/15-html-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Ade, Chaals, Travis

    Regrets
           Léonie, SteveF, AlexD, Arron

    Chair
           Chaals

    Scribe
           Chaals

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]HTML 5.1 update
          2. [5]HTML 5.2 progress
          3. [6]at risk items
          4. [7]Implementation report and testing
          5. [8]schedule
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions

HTML 5.1 update

    <CMN> AFAIK, Léonie has the update pretty much ready to go,
    which means we need to put it to the WG, and then request
    publication.
    … We did it by directly editing the source code because that
    was much easier than trying to rebuild the 5.1 branch. That
    seems like a reasonable approach - if we have massive errata,
    we have even bigger problems.
    She asks if we should tag errata separately from "stuff in
    Github".
    ... my alternative is to make a tag for specific errata if we
    need them

    Ade: we are unlikely to need to track errata for things other
    than the current version. so tag in GH seems like the right
    answer.

    CMN: My other proposal is to obsolete old HTML specs...

    Travis: Sounds fair. I know some people who can help.
    ... is 5.1 building cleanly again?

    CMN: I don't know.

    CMN: We didn't see a need to try. This *is* a potential issue
    for translators, and we have an open issue, my approach would
    be branch the current version and run the current building at
    any given time.

    Ade: Yes

HTML 5.2 progress

    CMN: last I looked we had 6 open PRs, a bunch of open issues.

    Travis: Been busy, but hoping to get High Priority items done
    this week.

    CMN: We need to tighten up the Pull Request review process.
    ... timeline has us closing off 5.2 at the end of the month. To
    have some ability to make sensible decisions, it is important
    to get reasonably accurate info about what people are going to
    actually get done.

    TL: I have 28 issues, 15 for CR draft... likely more than I can
    get done.

    CMN: You know better than me what you can do - please go
    through the issues and set some reasonable expectation.

    TL: Can do that. Looking at Arron's too, he has 8.
    ... srcdoc and quirks mode probably won't get done.
    ... His high priority item is building HTML 5.1 - we can drop
    that?

    CMN: Yeah, that's not cost-free but if we can get translators
    to build against the current master branch instead we might be
    OK

    TL: Will leave a note in #756

at risk items

    CMN: there's an issue open to identify at-risk items.
    ... the key problem here is old stuff that got in before we
    started work, and isn't actually implemented. It would be
    helpful to ask people who can identify things that don't work.

    TL: Appcache - should we have it properly in the obsolete
    section?

    CMN: It *should* all be documented in the obsolete section...

Implementation report and testing

    CMN: I hope the editors come up with an implementation report
    during CR

    TL: Should be feasible based on 5.1-5.2 changes history

    CMN: We have some WPT tests, some linked tests in individual
    changes, but I think it is fairly straightforward given that
    we've kept changelogs
    ... I have a real hope that our improved procedures will make
    it pretty straightforward task.

schedule

    CMN: CR draft - 2 June, CfC to request CR, request CR mid-June,
    publish June 20-ish
    ... almost parallel CfC for FPWD of 5.3.

    CR ending late August, implementation report and transition
    request with CfC end Aug / start Sept,

    scribe: PR early September, Rec some time end of October. All
    things working as planned…

    <adrianba> TPAC 6-10 November 2017

    TL: TPAC November 6-10

    CMN: We should think about Custom Elements for 5.3
    ... I would rather take out parsing as a clean module and fold
    in custom elements, think that would be a better approach to
    modularisation in practice. But anyway, we need to think about
    it and talk to the WG.

    [adjourned]

--
Charles McCathie Nevile   -   standards   -   Yandex
chaals@yandex-team.ru - Find more at http://yandex.com