RE: IDL definitions

Also, in case you meant “HTML5” the broad term for the whole web platform, then no, there’s not a single place where all the IDL definitions are collected. (Though this would be nice for a service like SpecRef to support 😊.) However, both Mozilla, Google, and [sort-of] Microsoft (as noted in your mail) have published WebIDL definitions for their web platform APIs. Hope that helps,
-Travis

From: chaals@yandex-team.ru [mailto:chaals@yandex-team.ru]
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:32 AM
To: Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com>; public-html@w3.org; legal Team <team-legal@w3.org>
Subject: Re: IDL definitions

+ team-legal@
- public-html5spec@

Hi Aaron,

HTML 5's predecessor didn't have IDL definitions, instead they were written with SGML or XML Document Type Definitions - DTDs. This meant they were defined in terms of conformant markup, rather than interfaces. WebIDL has been in development for a decade. Version 1 became a stable recommendation last year, and there is ongoing work.

HTML 5 doesn't define a clear IDL. HTML 5.1 has an index - https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/idl-index.html - written using WebIDL.

As far as I know, nobody has done the task of trying to retroactively provide an IDL definition for HTML 5. It is unlikely the Web Platform group would take this on as a formal deliverable, although if a group member did it and asked the group to publish it as a Note that might be worthwhile since it is well within the group's chartered scope of work.

The HTML 5.1 specification is licensed pretty liberally, and getting permission from W3C to use content from the HTML 5 specification in the same way should be just a question of writing an email and asking. Does the HML 5.1 license meet your requirements?

I have cc'ed the W3C legal team, so they can anticipate such a request.

cheers

Chaals