Re: About list inside a paragraph

On 26/09/2016 03:10, James Cobban wrote:
>  However using span tags with class
> names, or id values, that imply "listiness" means that "list-item" spans
> can be, for example, selected by JQuery.  The web developer can apply
> whatever behavior or appearance that is required to these "list-items".
> Semantics are ultimately a result of how objects behave, appear to the
> viewer, and are viewed by the developer, not a consequence of exactly
> which tag name is used.

Except when the user has tools such as screen readers other other
assistive technologies running, which DO rely on correct semantics being
passed (either through the use of correct markup/elements, or by
injecting them/overriding the native roles using role="..." attributes
or similar).

It's not all about behavior and presentation.

> Forcing the HTML tags to behave in a way that is inconsistent with the
> semantics defined by the standard is only going to cause the developer
> grief.

Which is why I believe the thread starter was asking for either a change
in the future definition in the standard, or for a new element/structure
that would allow for clearer inline lists to be used.

Patrick H. Lauke