Re: Gallery element

Hello Hans,

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 15:44:10 +0200, Hans Schmucker <i@hansschmucker.de>
wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> Right now this is little more than a description of a problem with a
> rough outline how a solution could work, so there are obviously a lot of
> issues not discussed in this proposal. What I'd like to discuss is
> whether this has any place in the HTML specification at all.

If something gets implemented, then it might have a place.

> My personal opinion is that it would lend meaning to something that
> today is mostly tag-soup, but your opinion may differ and that's what
> I'm most interested in hearing about.
>
> IF there is consensus that this IS worth investigating, then I'd gladly
> help write up a few proposals and sample implementations.
>
> Maybe I’m overlooking something, but I’m currently writing another JS
> gallery (there are some special requirements, but that’s beside the
> point)

Hmm. The special requirements are an important part of the point. One of
the things that we got comprehensively wrong in bringing new form input
types to HTML was that there are often special requirements, and the new
types didn't cater for them well so people use tag soup instead...

> and there’s one thing that bothers me: There really is no way to write a
> perfect gallery for all platforms, for the simple reason that the
> conventions for displaying a list of images are very different for
> practically every platform.
[…]
> All that combined with the simple fact that there simply is no way to
> mark up a gallery correctly at this time, while the web is exploding
> with graphics, makes me think that we should consider adding gallery
> element.

[…]

I encourage you to develop this idea further in the Web Platform Incubator
CG at https://discourse.wicg.io

I think it is also *related* to the tabpanel proposal there:
https://discourse.wicg.io/t/panels-and-panelsets/1184/24

> Presentation
>
> Defining the behavior of a gallery isn’t easy for all platforms...

That is possibly an understatement.

> Basically, we’ll need an element that will either
> a)    Cover a specified area or
> b)    Fit into a column with an intrinsic height
> Which additionally
>     Has a minimum specified size per element.

HTML tables are not entirely clear… but you might want to look at them and
their associated CSS display properties for reusable pieces, since they
appear to have some similar characteristics.

cheers

Chaals