Re: Should mouse events be triggered on ancestors of disabled elements?

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:05:22 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
On 10/30/15 3:35 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 10/30/15 3:30 AM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
>> Does that mean that clicking on a disabled element avoids triggering
>> mousedown, mouseup and click events on their ancestors?
>> Chrome, Opera, IE and Edge *do* trigger event handlers set on ancestors,
>> though not when they're set on the disabled elements themselves.
>
> And what does it mean to "trigger on ancestors"?

Calling event listeners set on ancestor elements.

> Where is the event dispatched, with what target?

The event is dispatched on the disabled form element with the disabled
form element as target.

> Which events need the weirdness?

This needs to be clarified. Browser implementations differ much
regarding the different mouse events (tested mouseover, mouseout,
mouseenter, mouseleave, mousemove, mousedown, mouseup, click,
dblclick, contextmenu).

Firefox only triggers mousemove, mouseover and mouseout events.
Chrome and Opera trigger all events except mouseenter and mouseleave,
though not on <button>, <input type="radio"> and <input
type="checkbox"> elements.
Internet Explorer triggers all events.
Edge triggers no events at all. (looks like this has changed since my last mail)

Sebastian