RE: Always use h1-h6 by level again

Hi,

As I read this thread, I actually am hearing a few different issues and questions:

1) Should we withdraw the "magic heuristic outline" proposal from HTML5 that has not been implemented?

 Yes, 100% support

2) Should we contemplate pursing a new <h> element that would pursue this nesting idea slightly differently (closer to the XHTML2 model)?

 I would support that effort, yes. It would be interesting to pursue the stateless Heading element, but I fear we may not get support from the browser vendors, but it would be worth the ask.

3) Should we explore the ability to extend the levels beyond <h6> (and, by extension, what if any impact would that have on aria-level, which I note does not provide a fixed limit of enumeration?) There has already been some discussion that states that screen readers are supporting aria-level=7. (https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_role%3Dheading_to_identify_headings)

 I'm less keen on exploring an idea around <h7>, <h8>, etc., as I note that ARIA apparently already allows for that via the aria-level attribute, and it would be more a question of user-agent support. If ePub has tools/platforms that *can* support a deeper hierarchy, I'm keen to see us support that in our specs however, so if there *is* a need for deeper Heading levels, we should at least chat about that some.

JF