Re: Always use h1-h6 by level again

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 08:30:53 +0000
To: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>, Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
CC: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
White, Jason J wrote:

>I support the proposed solution to define and implement a new <h> element, and to maintain the original semantics of <h1> - <h6>. This would also solve the problem of having more than 6 heading levels (admittedly a rare case of which I'm yet to encounter an example).

I haven’t seen it as a problem on the web (in a way that couldn’t be solved by simplifying the page), but do ebooks count in this context?

Lack of headings beyond level 6 is a concern for the Digital Publishing Interest Group, and seems to be solid use-case for either more levels, or level-less headings:
https://w3c.github.io/dpub-accessibility/#deeply-nested-heading-levels-best-practices

I would certainly agree with removing the advice on a non-implemented algorithm (the all-h1 method), and proposing a separate level-less <h> tag would provide a cleaner separation for future implementations.

Cheers,

-Alastair