Re: Please comment: Modular HTML or monolith?

We are also very much in favor of modularity assuming the HTML spec becomes an index of sorts where all of the individual module specs are pulled together for discoverability.

Speaking from experience in the jQuery and broader JS space, a lack of discoverability really hurts developers in the long run. Take modularity in the JS space for example. It has been great for better application development and developer workflows. But just look at the number of jQuery plugins or npm modules that solve the same problem or have the exact same functionality. Much of this can be attributed to difficulty finding the modules that already exist and eventually just duplicating the effort to create the same thing again.

So to circle back, we are very supportive of more modularity in HTML specifications to promote easier development and maintenance of the specs as well as easier digestibility of the individual parts of the spec. That said, there must be an index or some sort of "super spec" that pulls all of those modules together and illustrates their interdependencies and interoperability.

Kris Borchers
Executive Director - jQuery Foundation
kris@jquery.com
(781) 369-5779