Re: ARIA use in HTML other than for accessibility.

On 03/05/2015 10:54, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> I think it is well worth exploring what would break if we assumed
> that roles were generally meant to trigger behaviour that is defined
> by the browser, as appropriate for the user, rather than requiring
> every developer to add not only the role semantics but all the
> interaction, hoping they get it right…

This is partly what already happens in mobile browsers/AT - for
instance, iOS/VoiceOver will recognise certain roles and offer custom
interactions for some, as it obviously won't trigger any of the custom
keyboard-handling logic that developers may have layered over their page
to make their ARIA usage conform with the expected ARIA pattern (and
this is also why, for complex ARIA widget, I'd argue that the spec is a
bit too desktop PC/keyboard centric, but that's yet another topic for
another day...)

Patrick H. Lauke