Re: ARIA use in HTML other than for accessibility.

Michael(tm) Smith writes:
> [trimming Cc]
>
> Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, 2015-05-01 17:54 -0400:
> >
> > Let me draw your attention to:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction#ua-support
> >
> > Which includes the following:
> >
> > "The WAI-ARIA specification neither requires or forbids user agents from
> > enhancing native presentation and interaction behaviors on the basis of
> > WAI-ARIA markup.  Mainstream user agents might expose WAI-ARIA
> > navigational landmarks (for example, as a dialog box or through a
> > keyboard command) with the intention to facilitate navigation for all
> > users. User agents are encouraged to maximize their usefulness to users,
> > including users without disabilities."
> >
> > The above, taken from the ARIA-1.0 TR continues present in the current
> > ARIA-1.1 drafts.
>
> Yet, http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-implementation/ says:
>
> > In general, WAI-ARIA attributes should only affect how content is mapped
> > to platform accessibility APIs. They should not affect the visual
> > rendering of content or the behavior of mainstream desktop browsers

You're quoting the specification that defines how ARIA is mapped to
accessibility APIs, whereas the quote I presented is aimed at all user
agents, regardless of target audience. I see no contradiction.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
   sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net