    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:00:56 +0000
    From: sindimsh@sindi.co.za
Subject: Fwd: Proposal for Input Money element type in HTML5
      To: buhake.sindi@sindi.co.za

----- Forwarded message from sindimsh@sindi.co.za -----
    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:52:54 +0000
    From: sindimsh@sindi.co.za
Subject: Proposal for Input Money element type in HTML5
      To: public-html@w3.org

Greetings everyone.

I will like to request that HTML5 be introduced with the following
type of input:

<input type="money" />

This input will allow us to select the selected currency (ISO 4217
currency code), which can be referenced also from the HTML5 datalist,
as well as input 2 numeric fields: the numerator (dollars) and
denominator (cents) (for lack of better word).

The numeric input can be a simple text field or a spinner. The
advantage of this is that we can have a valid input field that web
applications can capture, and web applications can easily recognize
the value of the money returned from the client in the form of:

"USD XXXXX.yy" (3 character currency code).

The developer can specify how many decimal values he/she can accept
(or maximum decimal value) and maximum amount he/she can accept overall.

Right now, developers have to resort to custom made their own input
components and there is no consistency amongst applications. This
consistency will help also for those doing payment processing as they
can link the input directly to their payment processing service.

Sorry if this is not the right platform for this but I believe that
this is long overdue.

Kind Regards,

Buhake Sindi
www.sindi.co.za