Re: A successor to framesets

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Andrea Rendine
<master.skywalker.88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sean,
> but HyperFrameset relies on JS. So what's the difference between that and
> Angular?
> I mean, the difference is that there's a native page with main content and
> JS only enhances it by means of adding interactive elements around main
> content.

That is the point. Web-sites that are fully functional *by default* in
any browser - old, new but unsupported, noscript.
The end-user could even have the option to disable all the enhancements.

And by "interactive elements" I mean tags (in this case custom
> tags, so it isn't even native HTML) whose content is updated on an XHR
> basis.
> For what I see it is not a matter of implementing it natively. It's just a
> new JS framework. It is somehow declarative, as the page is already built
> and static elements are replaced by script. But... that's it, right?

The starting point for the design really was HTML framesets, fxing
things as necessary.
So the layout / frameset page is more-or-less a stand-alone HTML page
(potentially without any scripting).
But unlike original framesets you don't navigate to the frameset page -
it's just like normal navigation of a simple site but with the frameset applied.
This isn't a new suggestion, see
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1996Dec/0143.html

There's a few things I haven't worked out how to do declaratively,
mainly hyperlink targets and state management.

But it's very promising. The more I've worked on it the more I'm
surprised that there's been no apparent effort to make framesets
evolve for the web.

regards,
Sean