RE: Document.createElement: null or HTML namespace?

From: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 22:36:54 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> Interesting.  We definitely added this because IE supported it and pages
> were using it.  Those versions of IE didn't support it on the result of
> createDocument, because they had no createDocument support at all; there
> were MSXML ways to create an XML document and pages would branch on
> existence of document.implementation.createDocument and use that or the
> MSXML way.

Yep, depending on version of IE, the responseXML of XHR might give you an MSXML document (with .load (IE5-9)), or a vanilla Trident document (without load, in IE10+). In IE10 & 11, you can use a responseType of "msxml-document" to still get one of these MSXML docs.

However, we will likely be getting rid of the "msxml-document" flag completely in the future. We also would like to avoid implementing .load() in Trident, so if the data shows there's no need, that would be great.